Private Area

All I see is DARKNESS.
All I feel is COLD.
All I hear is CRITICISM
All I want is PEACE
and a SMILE on your FACE

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Hinduism and me

today i am writing about my religion.

I am a Hindu.

But before i go in detail, let me say that i am by no means an expert/learned in any religion even my own. Everything written here, is just my opinion and the way I look at things,.

Just like every other religion in the world, Hinduism has also its own branches. Every sector has its own beliefs etc... You have people praying to Krishna (Hare Krishna movement), Shiva (Saivaites), Kali (goddesses), and so many other Gods in the Hindu scriptures.

Someone was telling me a story. It goes like this, there were three men, these men were arguing to which God of theirs were more powerful. The first man, prays to Kali, Muruga, and a few others, the second man prays Vishnu, Ganesha etc and the last pray to Shiva. To prove the powers of their Gods, they decided to have cliff jumping competition, to see which God is more powerful. the first and second man, before jumping called out to all their favorite deities and jumped, both died. The reason being because the one god expected the other to save the men, so in the end none went. While the third man, praying to Shiva the almighty, jumped and Shiva came to save the man. the person telling the story said the moral of the story is Shiva is the One and Only god.

This story I have heard previously from another person but in an extremely uncomfortable situation where someone's life was truly in dire need. At that time I was angry, felt everything the guy said was BS. Now I think back and this is what prompts me to write this blog.

So the moral is Shiva is the Almighty or is it you can only believe in one God because there is ONLY one God, no matter what you want to call HIM/HER??? I am not too sure....

From young i was taught (by my parents/self taught) that there is only one GOD, in all religions, may it be Hindu, Christianity or Islam. Only thing different is the name we call our God. in Hinduism (at least the one I practice), the other deities are angels (that exist in other religions as well). So when I hear something like this, it always makes me ponder and wonder.

What if the people who believed that many gods equals to much more united force in saving/protecting them? They would not have expected the Gods to be like human, and not extend their hands, just because they called another god's name, just to spite them or because the gods have miscommunication, and behaves like a human, in delaying things! What about people who truly believed that there is only one God, but still prays to all other deities thinking of them as angels, would God ditch them as well? What if I believe there is only one God and I call Him/Her in another name, won't He/She come save me?

I know I am questioning my religion. But no, I truly believe in the existence of God, He resides in my heart, there is only one God for me, he has seen me through many many things in life and has set me up many may more hurdles in life. But I know there is GOD.

This kind of stories always leave me flustered, making me wish there was clear teaching in Hinduism without further sectoring of the religion. I want to learn to truth, but what is the truth? people are so known of changing truth to fit what they like, after so many many millennium, how do I know what is taught is the pure form of Hinduism? Or any other religion by way? Now I go reading some more... bits from here and there...

But I truly have no doubt there is a God and He is one and all.



No comments:

Post a Comment